Many people are willing to use a bigger screen smart phone right now. But at my deep heart, the most classical screen smart phone was Iphone 4s, which was created by Steve Jobs.
The same thing happen in the DAP market, many audiophile are also pursuing a bigger screen.
However, I know that there are some users like me, looking for a One-hand-control DAP with satisfactory sound. So, Fiio M3K will be a good choice for those people.
Well, without wasting anymore time, let’s jump on to the latest audio player.
What is the main feature of Fiio M3K ?
- Powered by Ingenic X1000E Soc processor –Not like other music player in this price range, the M3K is powered by the Ingenic X1000E processor whic offer high performance but with low power consumption. This make the M3K has a smooth but also a long playback time.
- Using AKM AK4376A DAC, a proven and well-received DAC that is capable of decoding up to 384kHz/32-bit audio with a remark- ably low noise floor.
- Pure, unadulterated musical bliss – The M3K has an incredibly clean sound. With the low noise floor, you could even hear a pin drop.
- Charging only once a week – Because of the super low power consumption of the X1000E processor, the battery of M3K can last up to 24 hours and standby time up to 38 days. It means if you listen 3.5 hours every day, you only need to charge it one time a week.
- Hifi recording and playback – M3K is euqipeed with a high quality microphone, so you can record the audio everywhere you like. With the audiophile audio playback hardware in the M3K, you can store the cherished moments in high quality sound.
- New AB functionality – This function permit you to compare and repeat between two different tracks as many times as you like, allowing you to really get a handle on any differences.
- Excellent decoding, full formats support -The M3K supports a wide variety of lossless audio formats and file types, so you don’t need to worry about converting your music. Supported formats and file types include: PCM up to 384kHz/32-bit audio, DSD, CUE files, and LRC files for displaying lyrics.
- Asynchronous USB DAC supports up to 192kHz/24 bit audio – In this price range, there is no other player can be used as a USB DAC. But Fiio M3K did. If you are using it with Mac, the FiiO M3K will automatically recognized so you don’t need to install the driver. But with the Windows computer, a special driver from FiiO is required. Both ways allows you to enjoy up to 192kHz/24 bit audio!
- Fast file transfers via OTG – With an USB OTG cable, M3K supports file transfers with USB OTG-compatible devices, so you can quickly download and transfer music and other files easily and as quickly as through being hooked up to a computer.(Note: Currently it only supports some Android phones, but doesn’t support iPhone.)
- Refined and seamless aluminium body design – The M3K is the first portable music player at its price point to feature a seamless, all-aluminium unibody construction with tempered glass. Those features not only give the M3K a both simple and elegant design, it also makes it near indestructible. Combined with the M3K’s small frame that is designed to make it easy to operate with one hand and you have a beautiful machine that truly considers the needs of its users.
- Shiny new capacitive touch buttons – The M3K adopts a set of capacitive buttons + touchpad for operation, a substantial upgrade over last generation’s simpler physical buttons. There are five sets of touch buttons to make getting around the UI easy: next/previous track, confirmation, back, and menu keys. The touch buttons are also backlit to greatly enhance usability in dark areas and make the M3K much easier to use when the screen is off – you get both more convenient operation while enjoying huge power savings from the turned-off screen.
- A body and IPS screen you’ll want to touch and look at – A bright and attractive 2.0-inch IPS screen adorns the front of the M3K, instantly grabbing anyone’s attention. This is complemented by the M3K’s handsome body, which continues the design language of the X1II critically acclaimed for its looks and ergonomics.
- Thoroughly modern, cool UI – Behind the M3K’s user interface is FiiO’s unique design language – a thoroughly modern and stylish yet functional and intuitive UI that makes getting to your music a joy, not a chore.
- One-button lock screen design to prevent accidental touches – The new clock functionality of the M3K allows you to rest easy when listening to your music by letting you keep track of time at a glance. The lock screen has an intuitive, yet effective design to make sure functions aren’t accidentally activated – when in the lock screen, simply press the power button once or slide up the center touchpad to unlock.
- Tailor your music with the graphic equalizer – With built-in rock/classical/jazz/pop/dance/metal/vocal EQ presets as well as allowing you to set up your own custom EQ, the M3K lets you listen to the music exactly the way you want it.
- Up to 2TB of storage expansion – The M3K supports micro-SD cards for storage expansion, up to a massive 2TB! (When they become available) You no longer need to worry about what music to take with you – simply just take every- thing!
- Hi-Res Audio certified – The M3K has been deemed to be truly “Hi-Res Audio” capable by the professionals at the Japan Audio Society.
The design of M3K is derived from X1II but with a much smaller size and you could easily handle it with one hand. It’s using the aluminum alloy shell and full lamination tempered glass making it look and feel better.
As an entry level player, Fiio M3K uses the Ingenic X1000E Soc and it should be the cheapest player that uses the X1000E Soc on the market now.
With the X1000E Soc, M3K has full formats support including APE,WAV,WMA, DFF, DSF and so on.
Do you know why Fiio named this player M3K but not M3 MKII?
It is because M3K would be more simple and easier to remember comparing with M3 Mark II, M3MK2, M3MKII. What do you think?
M3K uses the AK4376A DAC and could support up to 384kHz/32bit music. It is the first time that we saw the portable player using AK4376A, but we have to tell that it produce a good sound upon the first impression. Very low noise floor and very low distortion , high power output.
Does M3K support Bluetooth? No.
|Support formats||DSD 64, APE, AIFF, Flac, WAV, MP3, WMA, OGG, M4A, ALAC, ISO, DFF, DSF|
|Chips used SoC||Ingenic X1000/E|
|CPU model||Ingenic X1000/E，40nm|
|CPU operating frequency||1GHz|
|Analog Audio Output||3.5mm headphone output jack|
|Digital Out (Coaxial)||No|
|Inputs||USB Micro USB.（Charging/Data transfer/OTG/USB DAC）|
|Screen||2.0 inch IPS TFT 240×320|
|Expand Storage||Theoretically 2TB (only one micro SD card slot)|
|Headphone out specifications||Output power 1 ≥42mW（16Ω / THD+N＜1%)|
|Output power 2 ≥25mW（32Ω /THD+N＜1%)|
|Frequency response||5Hz~90 kHz（-3dB）|
|Peak output voltage||2.46Vp-p|
|Charging time||<2.5 h (DC5V/2A)|
|Equalizer||5-band EQ (±6dB)，7 presets|
The interior UI is well set up and easy to navigate. Although, the vertical touchpad is very sensitive and can scroll too fast at times. The M3K is shockingly fast with a manual microSD scan, which likely comes from the “powerful” X1000E CPU. And yes, it is powerful.
Is there audiobook and podcast support in M3K?
No, because audiobook refused to license to any 3rd party non-android products
Many customers are caring about the noise floor and this time Fiio manage to lower the noise floor of M3K than 2uV. M3K may has the lowest noise floor in the world depended their test.
Battery life is very important for any electronic product, but this won’t be a problem on M3k. Fiio M3K could hold up to 26 hours playback and 38 days standby time.
One of the important features of M3K is that it could support recording function, which is quite useful to students and media.
Does the headphone jack also provide a line level output?
No, line out output is not included.
You might be wondering the difference between M3 and M3K.
|CPU||ACTS ATJ2129||Ingenic X1000E|
|Battery life||>24 hours||> 26 hours|
|Standby time||/||33 days|
|DSD||Not supported||Supports DSD64|
|Support Format||APE, Flac, Wav, MP3, WMA, OGG, M4A||DSD 64, APE, AIFF, Flac, WAV, MP3, WMA, OGG, M4A, ALAC, ISO, DFF, DSF|
|Sampling rate up to||96Khz/24bit||384kHz/32bit|
|Distortion||<0.008%(1 kHz)||<0.004%(1 kHz)|